Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Bye bye binky!!!

I can't believe it... Seriously. I never thought it would happen, lol. (I seriously felt like that at times). Let alone, so fast and relatively so easy! I'm surprised to say the least.. but..

Zane is officially done with pacifiers! Or, what we call them, wubba! 

Zane was obsessed with his wubba! He always wanted it.. He would cry for it, whine for it, ask for it over and over again. I was just dreading having to wean him off of it. I wasn't going to rush it considering his lil bro literally just arrived not too long ago and he uses a Dino wubba. But honestly, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

I decided to start weaning him when my mom mentioned that they could affect their teeth. I'm sure it has affected his teeth to a point but I didn't want it affecting them any more. So I wanted him off of it. I also decided to do it because one of my besties and I (the wonderful Ashley Miller) were talking and she said "I think it's us being more scared of change than they are". So true! I was the one terrified to take it away. He wasn't. And clearly he didn't mind at all. 

I started by showing him the cutest little "bye bye binky" song from Elmo. I did this for a couple of reasons... First of all Zane LOVES Elmo. And secondly, my cousin shared this video on FB and I thought it was adorable! I searched for it on YouTube and let Zane watch it over and over. By the look on his face, I knew he knew exactly what they were talking about and I started talking to him about saying "bye bye" to wubba. I went on to explain that they are for babies and that's why bubby gets his. 

A couple days later I started only letting him have it at nap time and bed time. Then I quickly switched to patting his back when I put him to bed at nap time with no wubba. If he asked for it, I simply just said "it's night night time". I didn't even mention his wubba or that he won't get it. Zach and I then quickly decided to start putting him in his bed awake in order to teach him to learn how to put himself to sleep. Listen, I have to admit my kid is pretty good at this. I know a lot of other kids would get up and play or what not.. And yes, he does this from time to time. However, the majority of the time, he doesn't. If he has a hard time falling asleep, I go in there and pat his back until he is either really sleepy or completely asleep. Sometimes I let him see me walk out when he's almost asleep so he knows he went to sleep without me there. 

All in all, it's been over a week and he hasn't had a wubba at all. He doesn't even ask for it. And it only took a couple days to get him completely off of it. 

As for Nash's wubba...

Zane will find it and bring it to Nash. I think it helps a lot that his is a Dino wubba and Zane knows that it's Nash's. I've seen him put it in his mouth a couple times and he smiles and takes it out quickly. He knows he's not allowed to have it. 

Every kid is different and will part with their pacifiers at different times. Awhile back I tried to wean him and I just don't think either of us were ready yet. But this time around, I knew it would work. 

Just for fun, let's look at some old pics of Zane and his wubba(s).. :D








I have a love/hate relationship with pacifiers. I love that they sooth my babies. And I really hate seeing them in their mouths.. Lol I don't like pictures with them honestly (except for when they are little babies). They bug me to a certain point. I'm glad Zane transitioned (once again) so easily for me. Now, he will be TWO next month... with no wubba, sleeping in a toddler bed, and talking so well. I am loving being his mommy and watching him learn and grow on a daily basis. 

And now the next step is...

Transitioning Nash into his crib. 

Excuse me while I go shed a year or two. I know this is my last baby so I'm holding onto him for as long as I want... Lol. It may be another month or two until I'm ready. 

No comments:

Post a Comment